Medicinal Nutrition & Sport Technologies
At its core, the goal of medicinal nutrition is to: ‘keep healthy people healthy’. MET is dedicated to advancing the sciences of nutrition and sport in collaboration with industry to maximise healthy outcomes in the Irish population.
The concept of medicinal nutrition encompasses functional foods and foods for health. The research team at MET can support the food industry in all aspects of food research, innovation, niche, and novel food and beverage development to help meet the increasing consumer demand for healthy food products.
Our aim is to offer practical evidence-based scientific information on technical support, process support, new product development and existing product improvement.
Analysis and Testing
- Metabolic testing: Glycaemic Index (GI assessment and certification, identification and development of low GI foods) and glycaemic response
- Cognitive testing: effects of food and its components on mood, reaction time, concentration, memory, stress tolerance
- Antioxidant assays: bioaccessibility and bioavailability; antioxidant profiles, stability and antioxidant capacity
- Other food assays: quantification and isolation of individual food components; plant-based bioactives (e.g. seaweed extracts, β-glucans and other prebiotics)
- Food intake studies: effects of food and its components on food intake, appetite and satiety
- Sensory testing: Sensory analysis: taste, appearance, flavour, aroma, and texture evaluation; discrimination testing, analytical trials, descriptive analysis, trained panel testing, competitor testing/bench marking and troubleshooting
- Consumer testing: consumer testing, at home consumer testing, packaging, focus group studies
- Product development: recipe development and modification, competitor analysis, benchmarking studies, process analysis, packaging analysis, instrumental analysis, shelf-life studies: optimisation and extension
- Packaging, Branding & Regulation: Nutritional analysis, on package labelling, allergen information, food photography and styling
- Human Interventional Trials: Strictly controlled experiments on human volunteers for one day to several weeks; long-term studies of up to 6 months or longer on human volunteers, with measures taken either in-house or amongst free-living populations; randomised controlled trials.
- Sport and Exercise Analysis and Technologies: VO2max testing; lactate testing, isometric mid-thigh pull testing and Fusion Sport Smart Speed PRO system
If you would like further information or have an idea for a new product or service, please contact us for advice and support.
Find out more about our Medicinal Nutrition and Sport activities by following our blog here.