Job Title: Technician Mechanical & Biomechanical Engineering
Reporting: MET Technology Gateway Director
Location: MET Technology Gateway, GMIT, Galway
Duration: 6 months Fixed Term Contract
Applications are invited for the post of Technician, Medical & Engineering Technologies (MET) Gateway, at Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology.
Technology Gateway – MET
The Enterprise Ireland funded Medical and Engineering Technologies (MET) Gateway is an interdisciplinary Technology Gateway which provides world class solutions for SME’s and larger organisations across the MedTech and general manufacturing sectors. Based at GMIT’s Galway campus, the Gateway offers a range of applied technologies relevant to companies in the product engineering and design application phase. These technologies include:
• Medical Imaging Technologies
• Biomedical Engineering Technologies
• Data Analytics and Visualisation
• Design Verification Technologies
• A relevant Level 7 degree in Mechanical Engineering (as specified in the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ).
• The recommended candidate must also pass a medical examination prior to taking up duty
• Proficiency in 3D Modelling (ProEngineer, Solidworks).
• Experience in using Labview software
• Good laboratory/practical skills
• Good communication skills as well as ability to work in a team culture
• Good initiative, flexibility and good organisational skills
• Perform research and technical tasks as assigned by the Technology Gateway Manager, academic PI’s and the Quality Manager.
• Assist in planning and implementing the work activities of the MET Gateway industry programme.
• Work closely with PI’s and other team members to organize and deliver company specific projects on agreed timescales.
• Work and interact on a day to day basis with other team members as required.
• Share responsibility for ensuring that applied research programme timelines are adhered to
• Ensure that project requirements in terms of documentation of the project activities are implemented and adhered to.
• Develop relationships with relevant PIs, academic collaborators, clinicians and industry partner representatives.
• Maintain laboratory notebooks, research records and generate technical reports and data as required by the management team.
• Ensure that project work is performed in line with Health and Safety and other relevant Institute policies.
• Assist the Technology Gateway Manager in report preparation to relevant funding agencies and industry partners.
• Maintain confidentiality of all results emerging from all projects undertaken at the Centre.
• Provide training to new team members as required.
• Prepare and deliver project progress presentations.
• Undertake the commissioning of new equipment.
• Carry out maintenance of equipment.
• Ensure the laboratories, materials and equipment are kept clean, tidy and in good order.
• Provide support for delivery and receipt of goods
• Assist with the maintenance of the quality management system.
• Carrying out of safety audits in all areas of operation in cooperation with other grades of staff
• Arranging for safe disposal of used materials e.g. biological, chemical and materials containing toxic, hazardous and volatile materials.
• Repairing, maintaining, securing and storing of laboratory equipment, and consumable materials.
• Assist in consulting with suppliers of equipment and consumable materials, and assist in obtaining technical specifications, quotations and ordering new equipment and consumable materials.
Salary: Starting Salary is dependent on funding availability and experience, and will also be market-driven and discipline-related.
Technician Scale: €30,393.00 (1st Point)
Interested applicants should submit a detailed Curriculum Vitae including a personal statement as to how you meet the requirements of the post described to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Human Resources Department
Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology
Telephone No. + 353 91 742766/742767
Latest date for receipt of completed application is: 12 noon on Thursday, 23rd November 2018.
Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
Candidates must hold a valid work permit to work in Ireland.
Garda Vetting will apply.
Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from people with a disability.
Cuirfear fáilte roimh chomhfhreagras trí Ghaeilge.