Job Title: Research Fellow – Medical Device R&D, Mechanical & Biomechanical Engineering
Reporting to: Dr Patrick Delassus Academic Director
Location: MET Technology Gateway, Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT), Galway
Duration: Two year fixed-term contract
Funding Agency: Enterprise Ireland
Project Title: Innovation Partnership IP-2017-0525 Boston Scientific
GMIT’s Medical Engineering Technology Gateway integrates a multidisciplinary team of researchers collaborating to provide clinically inspired solutions to clinicians and the MedTech Sector. GMIT’s MET Gateway delivers unique research, design and development to advance preclinically relevant in vitro simulators that replicate various parts of the human anatomy. In partnership with Boston Scientific, GMIT’s MET Gateway is seeking to recruit a highly motivated and talented Research Fellow to develop a clinically relevant human in-vitro simulation system.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates with significant post-doctoral and/or industrial research experience for a two year full-time fixed term position as a Post-Doctoral Researcher to work in the MET Technology Gateway at Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology, Galway campus.
- PhD in Mechanical or Biomedical Engineering or equivalent* research experience (including industrial R& D). * EU defines PhD equivalent as 4 years fulltime research after primary degree.
- Experience in designing and fabricating complex controlled simulation systems.
- Experience in Soft Robotics.
- Publication track-record and strong technical report writing and presentation skills.
- Experience in using Labview software.
- Knowledge of CT imagery and/or Mimics software.
- An influential team member and fully motivated.
- Good communication skills as well as ability to work in a team culture.
- Good initiative, flexibility and good organisational skills.
- Technical troubleshooting skills.
- Assist the Centre Director and Principal Investigators (PIs) to generate device and equipment ideas and concepts in collaboration with industry partner and clinicians.
- Assist in planning and implementing the work activities of the MET research programme.
- Work closely with PIs to deliver Boston Scientific specific project on agreed timescales.
- Author funding proposals aligned with MET strategy for submission to various state agencies, research funding bodies and industry.
- Work and interact on a day to day basis with other team members as required.
- Share responsibility for ensuring adherence to research programme timelines.
- Perform research and technical tasks as assigned.
- Ensure implementation and adherence to research requirements for documentation of the project activities, milestones, etc.
- Develop relationships with MET Gateway PIs, academic collaborators, clinicians and industry partner representatives.
- Maintain laboratory notebooks, research records and generate technical reports and data as required by the management team.
- Ensure that project work is performed in line with Health and Safety and other relevant Institute policies.
- Assist the Academic Director in written and oral report preparation.
- Maintain confidentiality of all background IP, foreground IP, and research results emerging from the project.
- Assist in the identification of and patent protection of intellectual property generated in the work-programme.
- Provide training to other team members as required.
- Prepare and deliver project progress presentations.
Appointment will be on the IUA Research Fellow (Level 3) scale: €51,716.00 in year 1, €53,245.00 in year 2.
Further information on the position may be obtained from Dr Patrick Delassus, Academic Director (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Interested applicants should submit a detailed Curriculum Vitae including a personal statement as to how you meet the requirements of the post described to email@example.com
The Human Resources Department
Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology
Dublin Road Galway Ireland.
Telephone No. + 353 91 742766/742767